Birthdays are supposed to be days that we can assume to be better than other days..we can be selfish and claim that day as it’s the only day in an entire year which is about us.. why not?!
But what about all those who plan surprises for you? So I want to write to your dear ones to talk about this a bit and express a bit of concern over the ‘planned’ surprise.
I can’t help but think how it all takes place. A birthday is supposed to be a day where when you open your eyes you feel loved..you don’t want to end up going to the bathroom to wash your face and brush your teeth thinking that yeah once you freshen up and go to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for everyone (that is still your job even on birthdays..what happened to good old breakfast in bed…hmmm) someone might just remember and make your day by wishing you and asking how you’d like to spend the day or maybe have something reallyyyyy exciting planned for the day (which does not include a trip to the grocery store lolll). Maybe it would be nice to think that once a year it can be about you. Once a year it would be nice to not have you wait the entire day only to be wished after dinner with a cake and a present (as that is what commonly happens in our society). That doesn’t leave much of a surprise as that is very much expected 😛
Have you all ever thought about ways of actually making someone’s birthday special for them. I know its a debate whether birthdays should be celebrated or not but I for one don’t believe in cutting the cake but a nice fun day is not a bad idea at all. After all, like I said, that is the only day in an entire year which CAN be about us.
So let’s take a look at a few ideas that might just make someone’s day. (You don’t have to agree with me of course) but hey! What’s the harm in trying? 🙂
- Make their day by wishing them first thing in the morning (why wait till evening)
- Stick a birthday message on their bathroom mirror. (Trust me you can’t beat that)
- Serve them a breakfast with a little cupcake and a candle on top. Pancakes with a little candle could work too.
- Ask them what they would like to do or better yet come up with a list of 4 to 5 things and ask them to pick what they would want to do.
- If you don’t believe in all this then try giving them a day off from their regular chores and let them relax.
- Get them an appointment at a Spa (don’t wait till evening even for that, it’s always nice to get done with spa in the morning so you feel refreshed throughout the day)
- Take them for an adventure (could be a sport too) that they like.
- Take them on a shopping spree.
- Take note of what they’ve been wanting to buy for some time and fulfill their wish by getting them that.
- Plan an awesome party. You can have a chocolate party, dance party, FIFA party, makeup party, dress up party, movie party, trek party (which would include a trek and a little birthday party up the hills), superhero party…be creative..think what your birthday person would like the most.
- Plan a roadtrip. Celebrate the birthday after reaching one of the destinations.
- Gather friends and family for an old school type of surprise where you all gather up, turn off the lights and then scream “Surprise” once they enter the house.
- If you are big on spending time with each other then plan a day together and do things that make you both happy.
- If you can sing and play any kind of instrument, then make good use of it (add a few dance moves to brighten up their day).
- Take them to a concert, play, movie, match…whatever the preference.
- Plan a fun sleepover with friends.
- Find out where Karaoke takes place in your city. That is always fun and could follow a great dinner somewhere.
- Get some friends and play some fun board games if you are not much into celebration.
- Or go all out and throw them a big birthday bash. Well, why not!
- Bring back the postal joy by posting them a card. Nothing beats that even today.
- Do something unexpected and be the reason behind that huge smile on their face.
I have kept this post simple and tried to list down things that are pretty doable… if you have any fun ideas, feel free to share them in the comment box below. I’d love to hear from you.
In my family August, September, October, November and December are total birthday months. Lots of birthdays..so naturally there is a different way of wishing each one.
Happy Wednesday people! Weekend starts in UAE tomorrow. Enjoy and relax!
Laughter is truly the best thing in life.